Add recovery information to your administrator account
Recover your administrator account
Google Workspace Admin: Super Admin Account Recovery
As a super admin, you configure account recovery for user accounts, including the feature that allows users to reset their own password. But what if you forget your password? In this lab you explore the options and best practices for super admin account recovery. You add recovery information to your super admin account and reset your super admin password.
In this lab you do the following in the Google Workspace Admin Console:
Enable super admin account recovery
Add recovery options to your super admin account
Reset your password using a recovery email
For this lab you need an email account you can access outside of this lab. You will send and retrieve a recovery code to verify your account.
Familiarity with basic Google Workspace terminology is recommended to your learning experience.
Setup and requirements
Before you click the Start Lab button
Read these instructions. Labs are timed and you cannot pause them. The timer, which starts when you click Start Lab, shows how long Google Cloud resources will be made available to you.
This hands-on lab lets you do the lab activities yourself in a real cloud environment, not in a simulation or demo environment. It does so by giving you new, temporary credentials that you use to sign in and access Google Cloud for the duration of the lab.
To complete this lab, you need:
- Access to a standard internet browser (Chrome browser recommended).
- Time to complete the lab---remember, once you start, you cannot pause a lab.
Start your lab
When you are ready, click Start Lab in the upper left.
Sign in to the Google Workspace Admin Console
To access the Google Workspace Admin Console, you must find your credentials and then sign in.
Find your lab's User Email and Password
To access the resources and console for this lab, locate the User Email and Password in the Lab Details panel. This panel is on the left or at the top, depending on the width of the browser window. Use these credentials to log in to the Google Workspace Admin Console.
If your lab requires other resource identifiers or connection-related information, they will appear on this panel as well.
Sign in to the Admin Console
- Click Open Google Workspace Admin Console.
Tip: Open the tabs in separate windows, side-by-side.
- Click Next.
- Click the prefilled user.
- Click Use another account.
Enter the User Email and Password.
Accept all terms and conditions as prompted.
The Admin Console opens.
Click VERIFY DOMAIN in either the yellow box at the top or the red box in the Domains card.
In the Welcome, let's set up Google Workspace dialog, in section 1, click VERIFY. Google verifies your training domain.
Ignore step 2, Create new users and step 3, Activate Gmail sections.
- Click Google Admin in the top left to open the Google Workspace Admin Console home page.
Task 1. View super admin recovery settings
View the recovery options available in Google Workspace and the default settings of user passwords.
- In the Google Admin console, click the Security card. You may have to scroll down and click Show more to see the Security card.
- Scroll down and click to expand the Account Recovery section. This is where you configure account recovery policies for the super admin and users.
By default, account recovery is ON for a super admin and Off for users.
Task 2. Add recovery information to your administrator account
In real life, you supply recovery information when you sign up for your Google Workspace account. In this lab however, the administrator account was created for you in the training domain, so in this section, you add your recovery information.
- Open your Workspace account.
- Click Security either in the left panel or on the top depending on the browser width.
- Scroll down to the Ways we can verify it's you section.
- Click Recovery email.
- When prompted, enter your password from the Lab Details panel, and then click Next.
- Enter your email address, and then click NEXT.
At this point, Google Sends a verification code to your recovery email address.
- Go to the recovery email account and open the message from Google that provides your verification code.
- Copy the verification code into the Verification code field and click Verify.
Your recovery email address is verified.
- Close the Recovery email browser tab.
Click Check my progress to verify the objective.
Task 3. Recover your administrator account
In this next section, you sign out of your account, then sign in again. However, imagine that you have forgotten your password so you need to recover your account.
- In your Workspace account, click the user avatar at the top right and click Sign out to sign out of the account.
- Sign in using the User Email provided in the Lab Details pane, but when prompted for your password, click the Forgot password link.
- Google emails you a verification code.
- Go to your recovery email account and find the message from Google with the verification code
- Enter the code in the Account recovery screen, then click Next.
You are now asked to reset your password.
- Enter a new password, confirm the password, for example
luv2learn, then click Save password.
- Click Continue to return to the Admin console.
You have successfully recovered your super admin account.
Click Check my progress to verify the objective.
You explored the account recovery options for super administrators. With this practical hands-on experience you should feel comfortable getting started with a new Google Workspace deployment, or doing further training in Google Workspace administration.
Finish your quest
This self-paced lab is part of the Google Workspace for IT Admin quest. A quest is a series of related labs that form a learning path. Completing this quest earns you a badge to recognize your achievement. You can make your badge or badges public and link to them in your online resume or social media account. Enroll in this quest or any quest that contains this lab and get immediate completion credit. See the Google Cloud Skills Boost Catalog to see all available quests
Next steps / learn more
Next steps to supplement what this lab covered:
- On the Google website, visit the Google Workspace Learning Center
- From the Google Workspace for Developers website, learn how to Enhance Google Workspace apps
- In Google Cloud Certification, learn more about Professional Google Workspace Administrator
For more information on the topics covered in this lab, refer to the articles from Google Workspace Admin Help articles below:
- Allow super administrators to recover their password
- Add recovery options to your administrator account
- Recovering administrator access to your account
Google Cloud training and certification
...helps you make the most of Google Cloud technologies. Our classes include technical skills and best practices to help you get up to speed quickly and continue your learning journey. We offer fundamental to advanced level training, with on-demand, live, and virtual options to suit your busy schedule. Certifications help you validate and prove your skill and expertise in Google Cloud technologies.
Manual Last Updated August 23, 2022
Lab Last Tested June 2, 2022
Copyright 2023 Google LLC All rights reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google LLC. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.